Saturday, November 15, 2008

Bride from the Mountains of the Moon Scene Excerpt 1



EXT. GRAVEYARD-DAY

Boona sits near Bangi's grave. She WEEPS. She picks some grass from the grave and rolls it into a circle.

INT. KATIMA'S HOUSE-NIGHT

A small mud and wattle house. The clods of earth in the wall show signs of crumbling. Katima and Boona drink thick millet porridge from red plastic mugs.

BOONA
You have to help me, Katima. The clansmen say I have to be inherited. They are forcing me to marry Rutaro, as his second wife.

KATIMA
First they accuse you of witchcraft, now they want you to marry your brother-in-law?

BOONA
They claim it is for the sake of a son.

KATIMA
But what can an old widow like me do about clan decisions? I was lucky that when I faced the same problem, my supposed groom drowned. If I had the powers, I would help you make Rutaro drown.

Boona starts to CRY.

KATIMA
Don't worry. We can work something out.

INT. BOONA'S BEDROOM-NIGHT

Boona lies in her bed. A hurricane lamp casts long shadows on the wall. She turns and tosses restlessly. A baby's CRIES can be heard from outside. Boona rises, and lowers the wick of the hurricane lamp. She leaves the room.

INT. KIRIGIME'S BEDROOM-NIGHT

Kirigime is soothing Karungi, who kicks her legs about.

KIRIGIME
Shut your small mouth. Your mother must get used to being without you. Besides, you may as well grow up motherless.

CUT TO:

INT. BOONA'S BEDROOM-NIGHT

Rutaro peeps through the door. He looks at Boona's bed, it is empty bed. He enters the room, and closes the door.

CUT TO:

EXT. KIRIGIME'S HOUSE-CONTINUOUS

Boona leans against the bedroom entrance door, tears sliding down her cheeks. Karungi's CRYING can be heard from inside. Boona opens the door slowly, and sees Kirigime. She sings, while rocking Karungi back and forth. Boona slowly retreats.

INT. BOONA'S BEDROOM-NIGHT

Darkness. Boona enters the room. As she bends towards the bed, a hand reaches out and touches her back. She jumps up, SCREAMING.

RUTARO
Shush!

BOONA
What are you doing here?

RUTARO
(whispers)
You know you are soon to be my bride.
It's okay if we do it now.

Boona lights the lamp.

BOONA
Get out of here!

RUTARO
I am your new husband! It's just the cultural marriage ceremony that remains.

BOONA
I said get out!

RUTARO
Don't you want to feel a man's warmth?

Silence.

RUTARO
Come on, when did you last taste a man's thing? You must be starving.

Rutaro reaches out and touches Boona's breasts. She HITS his hands with a fist.

BOONA
Leave me alone!

Rutaro holds her by the shoulders, and pulls her face closer to his.

RUTARO
You are now my woman!

BOONA
I am not your wife!

RUTARO
My family paid your bride price. I have a right to inherit you as my second wife...

BOONA
I am not a goat!

Rutaro grabs Boona's blouse. RIPPING sound, as his hands tear into it.

RUTARO
Stubborn cow! Who do you think you are?

He forcefully pushes her onto the bed, and begins to undo his trousers. Boona SCREAMS.

CUT TO:

INT. KIRIGIME'S HOUSE-NIGHT

Kirigime swings baby Karungi by the arms. She pushes a feeding cup into the baby's mouth. Sound of CHOKING and COUGHING, as Karungi vomits out the milk.

KIRIGIME
Are you possessed?

CUT TO:

INT. BOONA'S BEDROOM-NIGHT

A fight. Rutaro holds Boona's left arm behind her head, while trying to get on top of her.

RUTARO
No woman ever refuses me!

BOONA
Leave me alone!

Boona claws at Rutaro. She bites his fingers, and uses her free right hand to HIT his back. She pushes her hand into his trousers and grabs his manhood. She wrings it vigorously.

RUTARO
Woman, you're killing me! Oh, oh! Help!

Boona increases her grip. She overturns him, pushes him onto the bed, and POUNDS his face with fists. He raises his palm to her face, and Boona bites his fingers. She shoves him off the bed and throws him into the corner. She opens the door and runs out. BANG! Door closes.

EXT. BOONA'S BEDROOM-CONTINUOUS

Boona leans against the wall, HEAVING loudly.

INT. BOONA'S BEDROOM-MOMENTS LATER

Rutaro lies in the corner of the room, writhing. He clutches his trouser front. His fingers are blood-stained. The door opens.

Kirigime stands in the doorway. Karungi is strapped to her back, asleep.

KIRIGIME
I heard someone screaming.

Silence.

KIRIGIME
What's going on here?

RUTARO
Mother, that woman is a killer!

KIRIGIME
(alarmed)
Did she poison you? Oh, my son is poisoned!

She makes an ALARM, and rushes out.

INT. KATIMA'S HOUSE-NIGHT

A small fire burns in the hearth in one corner of the room. A small black pot is placed on the hearth. Katima lifts the pot, and pours steaming millet porridge in two plastic mugs. She gives one cup to Boona, and sips from the second one.

KATIMA
You wrung his manhood? That is taboo.

BOONA
He wanted to rape me!

KATIMA
Why didn't you scream?

BOONA
I screamed myself hoarse. Nobody came to my rescue. It looks like it was planned.

KATIMA
How do you know?

BOONA
My mother-in-law stole my baby from me.

KATIMA
Isn't your baby still suckling?

BOONA
Yes, she is. But my mother-in-law would not listen.
(Beat)
She wanted Rutaro to find me alone.

KATIMA
As long as you still occupy their son's house, you have no option.

BOONA
Katima, I thought you were my friend!

KATIMA
(whispering)
Many women may not say it openly, but most of them are raped by their husbands... every night.

BOONA
Rutaro is not my husband. I don't want him to be my husband!

Boona puts down her cup, and makes for the exit. Katima rushes past her and BOLTS the door. She looks at Boona, and tears well in her face. She holds Boona's hands for a while.

KATIMA
You don't have to throw yourself into the lion's den.
(Beat)
We shall see Kamooshe. For advice.

Boona SOBS. Tears slide down her cheeks.

EXT. VILLAGE PATH-NIGHT

Boona and Katima walk along a winding path. Boona's foot gets lodged into a creeper. She falls. As Katima helps her to get up, a rat crosses the path.

BOONA
A bad omen.

KATIMA
A rat is for good luck. If it were an owl, we would just turn back.

INT. PRIESTESS' SHRINE-NIGHT

A dim fire burns inside a mud and wattle hut. KAMOOSHE, 65, is the Priestess of goddess Nyabingi. She uses a wooden stick to stir brown water in a brown pot. Boona and Katima squat on their legs, craning their necks to look inside the pot.

KAMOOSHE
Wait...
(Beat)
Close your eyes.

Kamooshe raises her arms over Boona, and CHANTS: Rukiga (Bantu language) subtitles.

KAMOOSHE
Adorable Nyabingi! Goddess of wealth and prosperity! Sprinkle some of your luck on Boona, so that she gets what she seeks... Nyabingi, giver of wealth and wisdom, I beseech you!

She opens an old goatskin bag, and retrieves three cowry shells. She raises them in her right fist.

KAMOOSHE (CONT'D)
This is Bangi...

She drops the first cowry shell into the pot.

KAMOOSHE (CONT'D)
This is you...

She drops the second cowry shell into the pot.

KAMOOSHE (CONT'D)
This is Rutaro.

She drops the third cowry shell. Small bubbles appear in the pot. Kamooshe stirs the mixture. A wisp of smoke from the dim fire assails her, and she COUGHS. She waves her left hand about. The smoke shifts to Boona and Katima. They COUGH. Their eyes water. Kamooshe peers into the pot.

KAMOOSHE (CONT'D)
There he is, chasing you like a leopard.

BOONA
Who is chasing me?

KAMOOSHE
He doesn't understand this marriage.

BOONA
Mother of wisdom, who?

KAMOOSHE
Wait!

She stirs the contents of the pot. There is a RATTLING noise. One cowry shell jumps out of the pot, and falls in front of Boona. Kamooshe points at the cowry shell.

KAMOOSHE (CONT'D)
There he is. I can feel his presence...
(Beat)
...what a frightening look he has! His face is frozen like the peak at the Mountains of the Moon...your homeland.

Kamooshe shivers. She makes loud BELCHING sounds, and her eyes open wider. She stirs the contents of the pot.

KAMOOSHE (CONT'D)
He is very annoyed. He doesn't want the marriage!

BOONA
Mother of wisdom, who is that?

Kamooshe throws the cowry shell back into the pot. She picks a flickering cinder and extinguishes it inside the pot.

KAMOOSHE (CONT'D)
Your dead husband!

INT. KATIMA'S HOUSE-NIGHT

Boona stands in the middle of the room. She SOBS intermittently.

KATIMA
What's the matter with you?

BOONA
I want to go home.

KATIMA
This late? Are you insane?

BOONA
The rat was bad luck!

Katima moves closer to Boona, and hugs her.

KATIMA
Stop worrying yourself over the rat.
Kamooshe said it was your dead husband... but he wouldn't hurt you, would he?

Boona turns and faces the door. She tries the bolt.

KATIMA
Please...it's not safe.

BOONA
I need to see my child.

KATIMA
Indeed, you may never see her again, if you insist.

INT. KATIMA'S BEDROOM-MOMENTS LATER

Katima spreads two mats on a reed bed. She adds a feather mattress, and one old brown bed sheet. She enters the bed, and Boona lies next to her. Her fight with Rutaro plays out in her mind.

RUTARO
No woman ever refuses me!

BOONA
Leave me alone!

INT. KIRIGIME'S HOUSE-MORNING

Rutaro lies on a mat. He is covered with a blanket. Kirigime sits on a mat next to him, mixing herbs in a small basin. She pours hot water from a large black kettle, into the small basin. Karungi is strapped to her back.

KIRIGIME
I hope this is the last time she attempts such a mad stint. Unless of course, she wants to join my son under the ground.

Kirigime removes the blanket from Rutaro. She touches his trouser front. Rutaro writhes.

KIRIGIME
Be still. I've got to dress your wound.

RUTARO
Mother, do you think you should really be doing this?

KIRIGIME
You are my son.

RUTARO
Let Nkabona do it.

KIRIGIME
Oh, do you think your wife will be happy that you got a manhood accident from another woman?

Kirigime unzips Rutaro's trouser front. She picks a handful of herbs from the small basin, and rolls them into a ball. She presses Rutaro's groin. He grimaces.

RUTARO
Please, mother, call my wife!

KIRIGIME
So you'd rather she knows about that rabid bitch?

(screenplay continues...)


Adapted from Bride from the Mountains of the Moon (Feature film Drama,119 pages)


© Rosemary K., 2005-2008, All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment